Thursday 21 February 2013

The true capital of India is Mangalore

The last time I asked somebody to sing for me and they did not oblige was in New Delhi.
Since then I hate the capital of India.
Delhi murdabaad !
Bombay zindabaad !

More on Delhi:
Note: Some parts of this story are confidential. So I wish you zip your lips too after reading this.

I live in Mangalore.
When I realized I was going to Delhi for a week everybody was ecstatic.

1. Being a die-hard foodie,
The most consistent hope, reassurance and image of Delhi that I was given by my friends in the South was that - 'Delhi is the land of great food. There is a dhaaba on every corner. They serve amazing paranthas, the thickness of our 7 chapatis, and lassi thick as ever. At freakishly low prizes'.

Then I went to Delhi.
I got to eat one parantha, that too of some fancy flavour in a four star restaurant with a prize tag which robbed me of quarter of my monthly stipend (or whoever foot the bill).
And every corner I turned in Delhi, there was a food stall selling MOMOS.
Chinese khaana hota toh mein Nepal nahi jaati ??!!

2. Another consistent advice I got prior to leaving was - if a car starts approaching you, run in a zigzag pattern in the opposite direction. You are their target for a kidnap + rape. So Run Baby, Run!

Then I went to Delhi.
And I am a lazy person. (There! I said it. Now it's out in the open.)
I had to walk a long distance many times with my luggage to go from my lodging to the main road or the nearest Metro station.
And I am a lazy person (again, what's with the eye rolling?)
So I used to do what I have never done before.
Put out my hand and halt random people's car.
And hitch a ride with unknown people of Delhi.
I did not get kidnaped / raped.
But I still don't feel like - Yuss, I survived.

Why do I hate that place so much? Why?

It all starts with the beginning of the story.

People in Delhi did not sing. They did not sing for me as soon as I arrived.
Hurt kiya yaar mereku.
After that everything else was a downward spiral from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment